Sunday, May 31, 2009

Hiking in Pisgah National Forest



It was late by the time I pulled into the Big East Fork parking lot. I had been there before, but time does a number on memory and I had forgotten how far the trailhead was from the intersection in town. I pulled in and got my gear together, then with my new headlamp started to make my way down the trail. I was able to find a nice spot about 40-50 yards down the trail and by midnight, my dog Buck and I were sacked out in the tent. I awoke in the early morning and was grateful I had brought a fleece. With the elevation change in the mountains, it had gotten quite cool over night. For just a couple of days in the mountains, I had a pretty good sized load and was glad I wasn't climbing all over timbukto with my pack. I spent the next day hiking alongside Shining Creek, stopping here and there to splash a little in the water or to make photos. As the daylight started to fade away, I made my way back to camp for a nice hot meal. It had been a beautiful day and I was grateful to visit Pisgah once again. I made my way to bed at nightfall and in the morning, quickly packed up to make my customary stop at Looking Glass falls. I always feel a sense of peace when I visit Pisgah and always look forward to the next trip.

No comments: