Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Stormy Night in Vaucluse




I like a good storm and as I looked out the window, I could see the clouds darken as the night approached. I had been meaning to head out to Vaucluse to shoot pictures and last night was
a perfect time to do so. I grabbed my camera bag, Buck the Wonder dog and jumped in my Jeep. I wondered whether I would make it there before the bottom fell out. It had started to
rain as I headed to my shoot and when I got there, the dark manacing clouds were right behind me. I parked in an empty parking lot and quickly followed the train tracks to where I would shoot from. Across the street, was a family sitting out on there front porch. It reminded me of the importance of simple pleasures. I smiled as I continued down the tracks. There is a beautiful pond there and as I setup my camera, the wind picked up and the rain slowly started to drizzle. I could see it coming across the pond, as I focused on the dam across the pond. I snapped several shots, turned around, refocused and shot some more. I grabbed my stuff and headed back to the Jeep as the drizzle continued. I could have stayed out all night! It was a beautiful evening, with a nice breeze and low humidity. As I got ready to head out, I stopped to shoot a couple of the buildings. An old Post Office, that is still in operation, and a couple other buildings. Vaucluse is in the area known as Midland Valley and like other areas, it's changing. I'm glad I captured this place, this moment in time before it was too late.

2 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

WOW! Dramatic sky in that second one--Impressive.

Christopher Hall said...

Summer storms are here! One of the things I like about the summer months is the sudden storms that come along. I like the contrast that dark clouds bring.