Monday, June 29, 2009

South Carolina's Riverfront






It was a Thursday evening a couple of weeks ago and I had stopped by my sister's house for dinner. I was born in Detroit, but had spent a lot of my growing up years in North Augusta. It's nice to cruise around the places I used to hang out. One place that is certainly not reminiscent of the 'good old days' is the riverfront along the Savannah River. Excuse me, I mean South Carolina's Riverfront. That's what marketing people call it. The development around the river has really changed the look of North Augusta. They've had the Greenway for a number of years, which is a nice paved walkway that spans several miles and connects different parts of the city. But on that Thursday evening after a pretty strong storm and gone through the area, I decided to spin around town before heading back to Aiken. I had seen the new City Hall, a multi-story modern building that looks so different from the North Augusta I grew up in, but I didn't know of the development behind it close to the river. As I pulled up behind the new City Hall, I saw a a rainbow. While the clouds were pitch black and there was a little sunlight breaking through, I could see the rainbow steaming down over Augusta. I pulled over and pulled out my camera, which is usually by my side. I clicked off a few shots and kept driving behind the new building to discover a road that lead to a little park. The park was connected to the greenway. I parked the Jeep and jumped out. "A new place to explore!" There was a trail that went past a little pond and through a wooded area to another pond. There were ducks and a small covered picknic area and as I left, I saw a deer running through the woods. "I'll have to come back here with Dee", I thought as I drove away.

No comments: