Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Look at Midland Valley

I was sitting in my office several months ago, when a friend said I should shoot pictures of Graniteville. I liked the idea. Graniteville and the other towns that make up Midland Valley remind me of my roots in Detroit. Blue collar town, working class values. I'm proud of my roots. Unfortunately, Graniteville like my hometown is declining. I see pictures of Detroit, once a proud and thriving city and what I see is the decay. That doesn't mean neither city doesn't have it's bright spots, just that times are tough and jobs have been lost. I drive through the valley and see a lot of vacant buildings and with vacancy comes the decay. There's nobody there to pickup trash, trim hedges, replace broken windows and other such things. I'm dedicating the next several posts to our neighbors in Midland Valley.

No comments: